The Entura clean energy and water institute is an accredited RTO (registered training organisation) with the Australian Skills Quality Authority, the national regulator for Australia’s vocational education and training sector (RTO 40680).
Our RTO scope allows Entura to deliver accredited courses in hydropower operations and dam safety fields. We provide training and/or assessment services for three qualifications from Certificate III to Certificate IV level programs. Two of these are qualifications under the generation sector training package, with a focus on hydropower operations and maintenance. We also offer various units of competency from the Water Industry Operations Certificate II and Certificate III qualifications.
Our hydropower courses provide participants with a detailed learning experience comprised of a mixture of classroom theory, as well as practical demonstrations on live equipment and simulators, to prepare trades-based staff to safely and efficiently operate power generating equipment and associated switchgear.
We have developed a tailored practical program for the training and assessment of operational competency, transferring the practical knowledge of our experienced operational staff to the trainee operator in a structured and certified program. Mentor support by local staff may also provide for further customisation of the training program.
The requirements for granting a qualification are determined by the training package rules. Each qualification has core units and a combination of electives where the sum of the weighting value is in accord with that assigned to the qualification.
To achieve each qualification, or portion thereof, both the essential knowledge and skills, and the practical field-based activities will be assessed.
A summary of our available qualifications are provided below. These courses will be run subject to interest and participant numbers. It is anticipated that, in most cases, this will be at an organisational level, tailored for specific groups. Individuals may be able to join such courses, subject to approval of the client organisation.
UEP30212 certificate iii in esi generation – operations
Participants gaining this qualification will be able to complete work functions such as local operation of plant systems, isolation of plant systems for work, routine observation and maintenance of plant and equipment in operation, observation of civil plant and infrastructure, and observation of safe working practices and environmental procedures.
UEP40212 Certificate IV in ESI generation – operations
Participants gaining this qualification will be able to complete work functions such as the development of operational procedures and systems, manage the start-up and shut-down of generation plant. It also includes the implementation of safe working practices, environmental procedures, management and supervision of others, and the coordination of work activities of individuals and/or teams.
NWP30215 Certificate III in Water Industry Operations – dam safety units of competency
Participants gaining these units of competency will be able to install, monitor, and maintain water industry related instrumentation; and monitor, control, and maintain dams and associated civil works. Successful completion of units NWPSOU022 – NWPSOU029 enable attainment of the NWPSS00004 Dam Operations Skill Set.
- NWPSOU021 – Inspect and maintain basic dams and water storages
- NWPSOU022 – Monitor and control dam operations
- NWPSOU023 – Monitor and implement dam maintenance
- NWPSOU024 – Inspect and report on concrete dam safety
- NWPSOU025 – Inspect and report on embankment dam safety
- NWPSOU029 – Conduct and report dam safety instrumentation monitoring
NWP20115 Certificate II in Water Industry Operations – units of competency
We work with Water Industry Training Consultants (WITC) who deliver all training and assessment activities for these units of competency on our behalf.
- NWPTRT001 – Operate and control water treatment processes
- NWPTRT013 – Operate and control liquefied chlorine gas disinfection
- NWPTRT052 – Operate and control hypochlorite disinfection processes
- NWPTRT061 – Operate and control wastewater processes
- NWPTRT101 – Operate and control lagoon processes
NWP30315 Certificate III in Water Industry Treatment
This qualification involves a combination of off-the-job training, distance learning and assessment of skills. These skills will be developed over time using the operational knowledge of experienced trainers and local mentors. Participants gaining this qualification will be able to complete work functions required to competently operate and control treatment plant processes depending on the specialisation chosen. We work with Water Industry Training Consultants (WITC) who deliver all training and assessment activities for this qualification on our behalf.
There are three available specialisations as follows:
- General qualification reflecting the skills required to monitor operate and control drinking water, wastewater and recycled water;
- Drinking water specialisation reflecting the skills required to monitor operate and control treatment processes within a drinking water treatment plant; or
- Wastewater specialisation reflecting the skills required to monitor operate and control treatment processes within a wastewater treatment plant.
RTO student resources