Testing and commissioning
Detailed but efficient commissioning and testing can minimise expensive downtime due to planned or unplanned outages, keep your assets performing at their best, and offer you peace of mind that your people, customers and assets are protected from injury, damage or loss.
As part of Hydro Tasmania, we know that the reliability and robustness of power equipment relies on the assurance that plant is properly tested and ready for service. Entura’s electrical engineers and technicians specialise in installing, commissioning and testing secondary systems across the power sector.
Applying our experience to your new or refurbished assets ensures that the full functional performance of your asset design is realised through thorough appropriate testing. The close relationship between our commissioning team and our strong design team gives you timely advice on possible remedies to faults and other potential problems.
The range of services we offer allows us to maximise our effectiveness on your project by minimising interfaces and coordination of subcontractors.
- commissioning and testing of protection and control schemes including power generation, transmission and distribution
- Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) of new protection panels before installation
- operator training in the systems implemented
- site project management
- NEM metering installation, routine testing and emergency maintenance.
High voltage testing
We offer commissioning and high voltage routine condition monitoring of HV primary plant, power generation and high voltage cables for voltage levels up to 220 kV. Our specialised onsite tests include:
- generator and HV motor Corona tests
- power transformer dielectric response analysis (DIRANA)
- dielectric loss angle testing (DLA or Tan Delta)
- short-circuit impedance testing
- circuit breaker timing testing
- frequency response analysis
- temperature sensor calibrations
- thermal imaging
- power quality monitoring
- electric and magnetic field modelling and survey.
Entura is NATA accredited for polyphase induction metering, voltage and current transformer calibration up to 220 kV. Our calibration and test services laboratory provides expert engineering services in the areas of:
- electricity meter calibration, up to 500 V, 100A single and three phases
- metering current transformers accuracy test at 50 Hz, with rated primary current up to 4000A
- metering voltage transformers accuracy test with rated primary voltages up to 220 kV.
Our test and calibration reports meet all industry standards and regulations and all traceability requirements. We guarantee that the test and reported results comply with AS17025 and other relevant Australian Standards. We also have a proven ability to respond to special customer requirements including the following:
- NEM (National Electricity Market) metering points test including service burden measurement
- overall accuracy of the metering installation calculation and uncertainty calculation for each metering point (ISO GUM method)
- metering point audit in accordance to AEMO code requirements
- high voltage primary plant consultancy including factory acceptance testing. Our team is experienced in the design of new transmission (up to 500 kV) and distribution lines and augmentation of existing lines (brownfield).
High voltage earth system testing
- commissioning and auditing performance testing of high voltage earthing systems, which includes the following main components:
- earth potential rise, using the fall of potential method
- fault current distribution measurement
- earthing system/earth grid impedance testing
- step, touch and hand-to-hand voltage limit calculations
- step, touch and hand-to-hand voltage measurements
- mesh voltage measurements
- detailed reporting, analysis and remedial action design as agreed with the client
- inspection of the earthing system for compliance with the relevant standards codes and guides
- soil electrical resistivity testing
- continuity testing of equipment to a ‘known’ point within the earth grid
- review of designs and test/audit reports.
SCADA and automation system testing
Our experience spans monitoring and control of hydropower stations, wind farms, electrical substations, gas stations, pump stations and water/waste water sites. We cover a variety of manufacturers’ equipment related to RTUs, PLCs, HMIs and associated communications equipment. Our services include:
- system evaluation, performance testing and troubleshooting
- routine and breakdown maintenance testing
- Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) of new and modified SCADA and automation systems
- Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) and commissioning
- implementation and testing of Local Area Networks (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN).
- implementation and testing of engineering access networks using multiple media
- providing operator/engineers training in system implementation
- site project management.
Our Electrical Contractors License number is TAS- 1052448.