Well-designed substations maintain reliable electricity supply and keep you and your customers connected and safe.
Entura understands that substation design must deliver plant that our clients can operate with a high degree of reliability, using their standards and conforming to their norms. But maintaining efficient and reliable supply isn’t the only consideration. Electricity carries inherent risks, and it is vital that you can be confident that your people and your customers are safe.
From 500kV transmission substations to low-voltage remote area power generation and distribution systems, Entura can provide complete power design services.
As part of Hydro Tasmania, we are one of Australia’s most experienced electrical infrastructure designers with extensive long-term experience with ageing infrastructure. We bring this depth of expertise to both greenfield and brownfield design and upgrades.
Our services include:
- high voltage installation certification
- project scoping
- safety in design hazard identification, assessment, communication and reporting
- survey, geotechnical and hydrological studies
- high voltage substation electrical engineering design, specification, auditing and asset owner support
- secondary protection and control automation including system modeling and analysis of protection systems operations and performance
- transmission and distribution overhead line and OPGW design
- civil design including bulk earthworks, structures, foundations, footings and oil containment for transformers
- building design and ancillary services
- AC/DC reticulation design
- earthing design, inspections and audits
- Owner’s engineer services including reviews of third-party design
- construction project management.
We understand that good communication across all design disciplines is paramount when designing or upgrading electrical infrastructures. Our teams are used to working closely together to deliver innovative solutions, specialising in the following design aspects:
- Structural concrete and steel analysis and design
- Foundation design
- Drainage design including transformer bunding and oily water separation system
- Retaining walls
- Transformer fire walls
- Road design
- Bulk earthwork design using 12D
- Substation equipment support design
- Transmission line towers and gantry structure design.
High voltage engineering
- Development of comprehensive specifications for High Voltage (HV) and Extra High Voltage (EHV) equipment
- HV and EHV reticulation design, specification and assessment
- HV installation certification
- Electromagnetic field modelling, analysis and survey
- Direct lightning strike protection design
- Insulation co-ordination design and assessment
- AC and DC reticulation design and assessment
- Wind farm electrical system design
- HV earthing system design, analysis and installation management
- Arc flash modelling, assessment and strategy development
- Detailed design drafting, using AutoCAD and microstation, including 3D modelling
- Safety in design hazard identification, assessment, communication and reporting
- Building design and ancillary services.
Secondary protection and control
- Conceptual design and development of metering, protection systems and control systems
- Detailed protection scheme design and documentation
- Functional or detailed protection and control system specifications
- Procurement assistance for secondary equipment
- Design of new or retrofit SCADA installations
- Protection coordination and relay setting calculations
- Instrumentation and revenue metering systems
- Analysis of protection systems operations and performance
- System modelling for protection setting determinations
- Creation of template drawings for standard substation design.
- Design and drafting of control systems and auxiliary power systems
- PLC programming over the complete Allen-Bradley range from MicroLogic and SLC through to ContorlLogix
- Configuration and programming of intelligent Electronic Devices and Remote Terminal Units (i.e. Foxboro, GE Harris, Serck, Logica and Schneider Electric)
- Operator interference programming and commissioning using SCADA software (i.e. RSView, I/A SCADA , ClearSCADA and Citect).
Protection design – international standard IEC 61850
Our clients benefit from our comprehensive understanding of international standard IEC 61850, including knowledge of product limitations.
Entura can help you migrate to an IEC 61850 secondary system by analysing your protection assets, standard protection philosophies and documentation requirements. From this we provide implementation strategies and migration paths including IEC 61850 templates, standards documents and designs, or ready-to-install design packages.
We can provide IEC 61850 training to increase the capacity of your own staff, including hands-on sessions. In addition, we are experienced in designing and testing the mission critical Ethernet infrastructure necessary to provide the reliability and security demanded by the Australian National Electricity Market.
We also provide consultation services relating to augmentation, documentation and testing of existing IEC 61850 protection, SCADA and Ethernet network schemes.